Friday 10 June 2011

My second golden rule

Symmetry is a funny thing, research has shown that the more symmetrical a person's face the more physically attractive we find them and this is subconscious on our part. 


How does this relate to a detail aid you ask? I may be crazy, but I feel that the more symmetrical you can keep a detail aid spread, the more visually pleasing it will be and as a consequence, more effective.


2. Be balanced


I just cannot focus when I look at an unbalanced detail aid i.e. where one page of the spread has significantly more information than the other or where the data is presented very differently. My brain itches, I feel like my eyes pick out all the inconsistencies. Now this may be because I write these things for a living, but I believe my background just makes me more aware of the fact that I am doing it. I think that the intended audience just becomes subconsciously uncomfortable with what they are seeing. 


So if you want your audience to find the piece visually appealing and focus on the message...be balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment